Monday, August 1, 2011

three.

a belated birthday post...

july 17, 2011

my sweet little harper,

three years ago on a hot july day, you came into our lives and completely altered me. what i thought i knew about love, you expanded. what i thought i knew about sacrifice, you deepened. what i thought i knew about joy and passion, you rocked. when it came to sleep, you thought we should see more of the midnight hours.

Photobucket

your overdue arrival should have clued me in to the personality you would own. you can't be rushed. you desire to be independent. you do things on your own time and your own agenda. these qualities will take you so far in life.

Photobucket

you amaze me everyday with your what you know. what you pick up. what you retain. and what you perceive. you are passionately observant, just like your daddy.

Photobucket

and speaking of, you have been all things daddy lately. and he can't get enough. when you bat your baby blues and use your sweetest voice, it's hard not to give in to you.

Photobucket

my heart has stretched seeing you as a big sister. you somehow knew all along that crosby was a girl, even when we kept reminding you that you may have a brother. you never once wavered that you were going to have a little sister. and you have taken on the role with such passion. you use your best mommy voice when she cries. you soothe her with your book and songs. crosby has so much to learn from you, and you will be such a fabulous teacher.

Photobucket

you challenge me every day. you test my parenting skills. you widen my imagination. you broaden my thinking. you make me carefully choose my words, because they will be remembered and brought up again at a later time.

Photobucket

you make me love deeper and harder and more than i ever have.

Photobucket

you have a no-fear attitude. you are willing to try anything. and you want so badly to do it all yourself. you scare me like no other, but i swell with pride and joy when i see your determination and success.

Photobucket

you bring laughter to my life every day. you are silly and funny and complete sunshine.

Photobucket

your smile and laugh are absolutely contagious, and i just can't seem to stay mad at you.

Photobucket

right now, you are all things toy story and cars. you love your baby dolls, but you don't leave home without your "guys." buzz. woody. rex. ham. lightning mcqueen. mater. slinky. chatter. ken. barbie. and we can never leave home without your soft taggie. you remind me so much of me with respect to your lovey. i still have mine, and i hope that you will always have yours. it's been through a lot and has observed so much of you.

Photobucket

wow. you're three.

Photobucket

continue to wonder. continue to inspire.

Photobucket

continue to amaze us. continue to laugh and love.

Photobucket

don't stop trying and doing and expanding. don't stop playing and being a kid. don't ever grow up.

Photobucket

i love you for all that you are, all that you will be. i love you for being my greatest challenge. you made me a mother, and i can never thank you enough.

Photobucket

Photobucket

daddy recently said that you look like him and have my personality, and just the opposite for crosby. i think this is absolutely why you and i don't always see eye to eye and our love for each other often shows up in elevated voices and stomping feet. but it's also why i absolutely adore you and want only the best for you every day of your life.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

you, my darling, are three. you are loved and you are mine.

Photobucket

don't ever forget it.

Photobucket

love,
mommy

No comments: